Click here to proceed to the JWA website
How do I delete evidence that I've been on this site HIDE THIS SITE QUICKLY

Young peopleyou're not alone

Support and information

You do not have to deal with this on your own. If you are worried about something that is happening to you or to someone close to you, try and talk to someone you trust.

Family….may be a great resource if you’re experiencing relationship abuse. They may know you best and be around the most, but it can be really hard opening up to a family member. What if your parents didn’t want you to date at all, and now you’re in an abusive relationship? Will you get into trouble? How can you even bring up the topic with your family? What if you confide in a sibling and they tell your parents? It’s understandable to be embarrassed or scared to approach family members.

Friends….but remember only to talk with friends you trust, it may be better to choose a friend who doesn’t know your boyfriend or girlfriend.

Teachers and tutors…. are there to help you and keep you safe. Talk to a teacher you know well and you feel comfortable with.

School or University Counsellors…. can help you find solutions to your safety concerns and help you to deal with your feelings.

University Women’s Officers…should be able to link you with people and organisations that can help you and be supportive.

If it is a friend who is experiencing abuse, remember that it is up to them to decide whether to tell another adult or not. But it is OK for YOU to tell someone if you are really worried that your friend might get hurt. However, it is best to be honest and tell your friend that you are going to talk to someone about the situation.


Below is a list of helpline numbers where you can talk to someone about abuse that might be happening in your home. Calls to all helplines are free. In an emergency, please ring the police on 999 for immediate help.

ChildLine - 0800 1111

Free, 24-hour telephone helpline for children and young people anywhere in the UK. Trained counsellors offer comfort, support, advice and protection. Calls to Childline are confidential, and are free even from mobiles. Calls don’t show up on phone bills. If you’re deaf, hard of hearing or have difficulties with speech, you can use  their textphone service on 0800 400 222 (not available at night). Take a look at their website:

NSPCC Helpline: 0808 800 5000

If you’re worried about a child’s safety or if you need help or advice, ring the NSPCC helpline or email them.

Freephone 24 Hour National Domestic Violence Helpline - 0808 2000 247

This helpline service provides support, information and a listening ear to women and children experiencing domestic violence. It also provides assistance to women and children to access a place of safety in a women’s refuge. The helpline is run in partnership by Women’s Aid and Refuge.

Samaritans - 08457 90 90 90 (UK)

Samaritans is available 24 hours a day to provide confidential emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide.

Websites for children and young people

Interactive and informative website for young people about issues including domestic violence, sexual bullying and sexual discrimination.

Australian site for young people experiencing abuse.

Birmingham Women’s Aid’s website for children experiencing domestic abuse.

American site. Aims to empower and educate youth to live a life free from dating and domestic violence.

Australian site. When Love Hurts is a guide for girls on love, respect and abuse in relationships.

American site to raise awareness about teen dating violence.

A website about relationships, created by the Nottinghamshire Domestic Violence Forum.

Mentoring site where users can give and receive confidential advice.

Jewish Women’s Aid takes no responsibility for the contents of linked websites and links should not be taken as endorsement of any kind. Jewish  Women’s Aid sadly has no control over the availability of the linked pages.